The most important things you need to do in preparation for YLHS Cross Country are:
- Complete the on-line Athletic Clearance Process.
- Have a pre-participation sports physical done at the high school or by your doctor – use the Pre-Participation Physical form – see below for Spring Physical information.
- Register for Summer Camp. Please note there are 3 ways to register and pay – by mail, online, or in person. The 2017 cost for XC summer camp is $250.
- If you register/pay online, you must still mail a completed registration form to the address listed on the registration page or bring it to the first day of camp. Athletes cannot participate unless the completed form is received by the Sports Office prior to the start of camp or handed in on the first day.
- And finally…join us this summer! See below for dates and times.
(Please note: In order to participate in any high school athletics program you must complete the athletic clearance process and sport physical forms.)
Summer Camp Dates:
- July 10th – August 26th.
- Practices are Monday through Saturday.
- Practice start times (unless otherwise noted) are 7:00 am – 9:00 am.
- The first two weeks of camp will take place at Yorba Regional Park.
- For the remaining weeks, practices will be held at various locations around Yorba Linda, including: Yorba Regional Park, Arroyo Park, Rim Crest (Chino Hills State Park) and Yorba Middle School.
- “Get to Know You” Meeting (including new parent orientation):
- There will be a “get to know you” kick-off meeting for athletes and their families during the first few weeks of camp. More details to come.
- This year’s Big Bear High Altitude Camp will be held August 18th – August 22nd.
- For athletes not attending summer camp but who would like to be considered for the team, please contact Coach Vidal.
What will you need for Summer Camp?
- Shoes – A new pair of running shoes purchased from a reputable specialty running store to ensure the best fit and quality to prevent injuries.
- Clothing – Loose fitting t-shirts, shorts & non-cotton socks.
- An inexpensive sports running watch is fine (but not required).
- Water – Lots of it, every day.
What should you expect during the summer?
- Attendance at summer camp practices is highly recommended in order to prepare each runner for our XC season that begins in early September.
- Parents should plan on having their athlete to the scheduled location 10 minutes prior to the posted start time. We will begin on time each morning.
- As we get closer to the school year, the schedule will change to afternoons so everyone has time to adapt to running later in the day.
- Car pooling is generally available. Let us know if that is an issue so we can help you make alternate travel arrangements.
How can parents help?
- Parents need to let the coaches train their runners. The coaches have detailed training schedules that might not make sense to the non-runner. They have a plan and it works in preparing our athletes for the upcoming season.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Parents will need to remind their children to hydrate. Please be patient with them as they learn to adapt to drinking all day long. They will soon realize the importance of adequate hydration.